Most consumers are familiar with the concept of buying from local merchants as a way of supporting the local economy. Thoughts on buying locally-produced food are provided in the Agriculture page. Local businesses tend to spend more money in the community, produce more local jobs, and help finance town services with their tax payments.
Other benefits of shopping locally:
- Local businesses donate more money to local nonprofits and community groups
- Local businesses are more likely to utilize local ads, banks and other services.
- Supporting local businesses preserves economic diversity, and adds character to our community that makes it distinctive.
- Buying locally-made goods reduces use of fossil fuels for shipping foreign-made products.
- Local businesses are more accountable to the community and are more invested in customer service
Need a Gift Certificate? Try "Gift of Chelmsford"!
OK, so you want to Buy Local...How will you do it?
The easiest way to find the local business type you need is with Google Maps or equivalent search engine, using the syntax "business type near Chelmsford MA". Another interesting website is Chelmsford Now which has sections on the business districts and local chambers of commerce, as well as a map with links to websites.
If you would like to patronize businesses that have taken steps to greater sustainability, the Recycling Committee is starting to identify merchants who are leading efforts to reduce, reuse, and recycle, in a program called the Greener Chelmsford Initiative. As businesses are engaged in this initiative they will be recognized for their efforts.